I’m not kidding when I say that the new misdirect is probably one of my favorite changes in patch 3.3. Every time a tank says “holy mackerel- I had 20k threat on that boss”, I smirk.
It’s a win win. For the cost of a GCD (the first one is free), you help keep your tank ahead of all the DPS and healers. Every threat reset, you can blast away for 4 seconds without hovering your finger over the feign death button. A couple of hunters in a 25 man are able to vault a tank so far ahead of the DPS in the first few seconds after a pull or threat reset that the overall DPS of the raid can be increased by a non-trivial amount. This is assuming your locks and mages are watching threat, and know about this change.
A perfect fight for this is on Marrowgar– right after he’s done bone-storming the raid, his threat resets just when the healers have the most work to do. Good tanks are irreplaceable, however MD can let even a bad tank keep agro during these first few seconds.
For those of you who are looking for the raw changes:
- All hunters can MD simultaneously
- All the threat you generate on all targets in those 4 seconds goes to your tank
- They didn’t break any macros that I heard of
- The cooldown starts after your first threat transfer, not after you use the ability. I’m not complaining too loud, because while this is not the way it used to work, the new way is infinitely better despite this.
- You don’t see the familiar misdirect aura over your target, you see it over yourself. I’m sure at least some of you feigned death the first time you noticed this visual change. I know I did :P. I also checked my big-brother addon to see who was messing with me. Blizzard, evidently.
- As a side effect, when you MD to your lock (with every intention of canceling it, I’m sure), he won’t see it unless he has a mod that announces these things.