Ever since we hit level 40 and gained the ability to wear mail, we’re considered a mail class. Once we hit 80 and start raiding, however, it can be profitable to take a look back at leather sometimes!
There are of course pros and cons.
- Sometimes, leather pieces (intended for rogues, generally) have stats we can use.
- Sometimes, these pieces have more of that stat than their mail equivalents!
- Expanding the list of gear you’re willing to wear to include leather will increase your chances of getting an upgrade.
- Leather has less armor. This is not a major issue- you shouldn’t be getting hit that much ;)
- Leather doesn’t have intellect, which can increase the amount of time you spend in viper, and unbalance your stat mix.
- Leather often has expertise. Never ever take this from a rogue, and don’t wear it for long even if it would have been sharded. Expertise is useless to us, and is lost itemization.
- Wearing leather angers classes that can only use leather (and I wasn’t sure whether to put this as a pro or con :P).
A perfect example of when leather is okay is in Ulduar. Flame Leviathan drops the mechanist’s bindings, which (unless you need the hit from the alternatives) was best in slot for many hunters. I waited until all my rogues got theirs, and then picked one up for the minimum DKP- I missed the intellect a little bit (it’s a nice chunk of attack power, as well as mana) but the increased stats made up for the lower AP, and I could evade aspect of the viper in many fights by using viper sting on an add or something.
What about you guys? Do you avoid leather even if it’s a DPS upgrade? What if a rogue needs it? What if it’ll be sharded?